Managed the software for a massive quiz bowl (50ish teams, will all rooms added up)! Was a super super stressful 3 hours as I needed to be precise with my clicking, but we got it to work (mostly :DD sorry not sorry), yay!
Yay, I just got my first batch of people starting to use ensio! They really liked it and gave insightful feedback on what to do next, and they said that they would actually use! Next step is to do finish auto updating and start my closed alpha! If it looks cool, check it out and sign up at ensio.live
Big ship: you can now order yourself a new card right on Bank, including virtual cards! Virtual cards can be generated instantly & used for online transactions, no waiting for shipping. If you haven’t ordered yourself a new card, it’s right on your Cards page now. (Personally, super happy with the design of this!)
received a package from @lachlanjc today! wow - I was so surprised! thank you so much to lachlan for sending this, @cwalker for the inspiring note, and to all of hq for this amazing gift! it was really awesome to work with all of you this summer and I’m so grateful for all the support you’ve given. also enjoy this friendly orpheus a la chris
🐸We are almost done with our SOM project, the smart album cover display. Here's a demonstration of the spotify feature, which displays the playing song on the screen almost instantly, complete with transitions 😏, and autobrightness 🤯. Here's a video!
Continued working on face shields today. I was able to cram 4 into the build plate, but both the thin walls and large build plate make bed leveling difficult. I was able to find the sweet spot on my 4th try. I didn’t grab a photo, but here’s a screen capture of the livestream:
Switched my default shell to zsh today! I installed oh my zsh, powerlevel10k and a syntax highlighting plugin, what else would you recommend I do? Also thanks @matthewgleich for the help with moving my PATH over from bash
This monitor was made by me from, a dead laptop, scrap wood, two hooks for mounting to a car headrest, a $20 driver board off eBay, and tape. It’s about 15 inches has hdmi, rca, vga, a USB port, and it fits in a backpack.
I've been working on preparing for a webinar for the HOPE Project! (Harmonies of Pianists Everywhere; linktr.ee/hopepiano) It's free and is open to ALL musicians: we have some expert panelists speaking to us about Effective Practicing! It's not too late to sign up; I'll be hosting 😄
running a debate comp, one team drops out, and guess what? now I had to 3v1 this team.... but i still won so yay!!! very weird debate.... i put on different characters for each speaker (spoke 3 times) and they were all very melodramatic... lol
Rough day, was feeling sick this morning so didn't go for the last day of school. The school terms ended, yay! Really needed a break from it all, hoping I can get that break :D
my little website project (state-of-democracy.vercel.app) is coming along nicely tho
It's been, like, forever since I last posted lol. Anyways I've been working on a new project that'll allow you to send reactions to others in real-time, so you can use it alongside Zoom :zoom: and other things. Had to learn react:react: and socket.io, but it was pretty fun and rewarding :D I've still got a lot of work to do, like adding custom reactions yay! it was kind of the whole point to be able to send cult of the party parrot gifs :partyparrot_conga:
Today as a student council we made 66 cards for all the teachers at the school! we had a padlet (which @23neil.g made) and got students responses then we printed them out and turned them into these amazing cards!
(i wasnt much help.... i got banned from doing anythings with my hands within minutes because i am too clumsy..... so i was finding all the printouts and matching them up)
yay! clippers wonnnnnn :party-dinosaur: going to go to the beach in 20 minutes, did more coding + work for upcoming event 👀 got some help from @msw, getting sad and anxious that school is tmr ahhh! can’t wait to watch utah jazz vs nuggets in like 3 more hours @ 6pm pdt!
:yay: Best personal record so far for my guitar 🎸 skill... Ophelia by The Lumineers 🎵... (ps don't listen to it, it'll destroy your ears 👀) probably should go get something to eat, it's 6pm and I haven't eaten anything today ☠️
Yay -learned how to put websites online and published 3! 1st took me 12min to open a repo, open the folder in VS Code editor, then commit and push on GitHub desktop; 2nd time took me 7 mins and 3rd time took me 2mins 47 seconds !!🔥
Update: I forgot to post this noon so I probably missed the streak.
Upon checking my schematics, I realized that, to my horror, my Arduino Uno doesn't have enough pins to program the SST39SF010A parallel flash memory. HOWEVER, I remembered that my CPU design also doesn't have enough pins to support reading from flash either! But by using a time-multiplexed address + data bus along with my northbridge, I can easily program the flash IC! So, I yoinked the northbridge and hooked the Arduino to it. Yeah!!! We're back in business babbyyy!
Spent all day today fixing a ton of Scrappy bugs! Here's everything I did today:
• The streak resetter is called by a Zap that runs every hour, but it kept turning off every time it ran because I wasn't sending a response back. Now it's fixed and running every hour! 🕐
• We added text formatting (emojis, channels, and users) a while back, but posts made before that still appeared unformatted. So I wrote a script that formatted every scrapbook update since the beginning ⭐
• Scrappy now publicly links to the scrapbook profile of anyone who shares a CSS style so that anyone can see what the style looks like 🖌️
• If you had a custom scrapbook domain set and you ran /scrappy setdomain again to set a new one, it wouldn't remove your previous domain from Vercel. Now, it does! :vercel:
• For a while, when you edited a message or shared an unfurled link in a thread, Scrappy would react with a beachball. Now, it doesn't do that anymore :beachball:
• If you to set your status to a streak number that doesn't match your streak, Scrappy sets your status to a clown emoji. A few days ago I accidentally broke this feature, but I fixed it today! 🤡
• Yesterday, @saharsh submitted a pull request that automatically updates your scrapbook profile when you edit relevant profile information in your Slack profile. Today, I got that PR working, made a few changes, and merged it. Now when your profile picture, website, GitHub profile, and timezone change, it'll instantly be reflected on your scrapbook profile 🙌
• Today, I was made aware that Scrappy occasionally doesn't update people's status, either when they post an update or when their streak is reset. I believe I fixed the issue—I couldn't test it because I couldn't easily reproduce it, but if you notice your streak status not being properly updated, let me know so that I can investigate further! :som-7+:
• In case you didn't know, all full slack members can run /som-promote to promote a multi-channel guest to a full user in Slack. Now, when you do that, it notifies #welcome-committee that they've been promoted so that they can help them get acquainted with the rest of the community! :heart:
• And finally: previously when you uploaded large video files (>300MB), Scrappy would falsely tell you your video was successfully uploaded, only to silently fail and display an unsatisfying black screen on your profile. It was failing because 1) Slack wasn't serving the video near-instantly like it normally does with most files, so Scrappy was fetching an error page, and 2) even if Scrappy managed to fetch the large video, it crashed the Heroku dyno because it didn't have enough RAM to download the whole file. My largest project for today was getting large video files to work. Now, if you upload a file that's too big for Scrappy to download, it will wait for Slack to serve the file, upload it directly to Mux (the platform we use to serve video on the website), and notify you when it's processed. So go ahead and upload multi-minute videos now! :yay: 📹
If you find any other bugs in Scrappy, please let me know or open an issue in the GitHub repo (github.com/hackclub/scrappy) and I'll fix it. And of course, if you notice any of the bugs I supposedly fixed today persisting, please let me know so that I can look further into them and fix them for good.
Here's a picture of me giving a very good dog a belly rub
I’m (almost too) excited to ship Frame 🖼️, our SOM project we’ve completed.
🦑 What is it? Previously named Smart Album Cover Display, Frame, which sits on your wall, displays the music you’re listening to. It either uses the Spotify API or detects the music you’re listening to with microphones.
🐳 It’s been a good summer! With all the support from Hack Club we were able to complete this, and I am currently working on a Flutter App to configure settings (currently it’s a react site).
🐝 What’s the purpose? We see it as art. I truly spend hours each day just looking at it (the beauty is not apparent in the photos). Music truly is a beautiful thing.
🍀 Want to make your own? We’re working on a hardware guide. The code is, of course, open source. Contact us with questions.
We couldn’t have done this without Hack Club 🎉 💓
p.s. here is Blonde by Frank Ocean, KIDS SEE GHOSTS by KIDS SEE GHOSTS, Yellow Submarine by The Beatles and Nothing Was The Same by Drake. We’ve also implemented a clock when paused (with custom colors 🎨) and auto-brightness with a light sensor.
Got my lab kit today for my class :yay: it's an 8-bit AVR RISC designed by my school :osu: where we're gonna reverse engineer it and learn how to build one :parrot: both Kevins would be interested :fb-laugh:
Look the leaves are turning red!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!! I love fall!!!!!! Also my new allbirds AND ALSO I’m wearing these red shorts for the first time in a YEAR (long story) AAAAAAAAAAAA CIDUSVWICYCHWGEDOFOIDJS
Listen to some cool podcast to refresh my self, and started my favorite part of physics again, while I am doing preparing a speech for school, my mind is just off with this speech, I hope it will be awesome
The class schedule is still nonexistent, didn't make it into advanced maths because I'm dumb, had some friends over and a wonderful time (still kinda sober yay), and implemented microcode syntax highlighting. Things could be better but things could be worse I suppose :shiba-stare:
:yay: Digikey :hardware: hardware arrived today! Thanks @sampoder and @roshan and :summer-of-making: Hack Club for this awesome opportunity!😁 The wrapper stuff it came with was quite interesting though...
I'm gonna try to get @scrappy to react with as many emojis as possible, for no particular reason.
Ran my first online Hack Club workshop yesterday w @sg69926, hosting and moderating on Zoom, while also screen-sharing the fundraising deck of my guest, Emily Ramshaw of the 19th News. Thanks to @dinaelhanan for prepping w me! This is one of Emily's slides- she has raised $9million this year, and I learned a lot listening to how she did it
Well, it's finally the end of summer term :yay:, not bad for a day, only 2 projects, 2 quizzes and one exam in one day definitely not insane at all :facepalm:... well, guess it's time to find a comfy corner under my desk and try out the new game release that I have downloaded weeks ago :sadparrot: plus some music that starts with the line "I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing" www.youtube.com/watch?v=01J2e2fLvLM probably should go to sleep, been up all night :sleepingparrot:
Done with another python project! Learned how to code a program that fetches a random article from wikipedia. It also provides the title and summary of the article and allows you to choose if you want to read it or not. big thanks to @luke who helped me figure out solutions to every problem i ran into while making it lol.
I baked strawberry 🍓 matcha 🍵 chocolate 🍫 cheesecake brownies!! After it came out it just tasted overwhelmingly like chocolate 🍫 , but it’s still so goooooood (it’s darker than it looks in the pic)
Then after all that chocolate I ate a mango 🥭
Didn’t feel too great today, reported some bugs on our Summer of Making site, also went to the shops, watched a documentary on the Cultural Revolution, read some hardware shopping lists and wanna do some chill coding tonight, also listened to some pretty nice music
Got all the first wave accepted people there acceptance letters and on to the slack and then provided loads of support. After about three read throughs each of 100,000 words worth of applications its really good to be confident with our choices and send out these emails. Big shoutout to @roshan for all their support. Now comes the sad part… rejection letters… now their a whole different level
nothing really interesting these past few days, just psetting and being the hamster in the ever-rolling wheel of psets, nothing I can really show here. I did get jobs with the MIT eecs and math departments tho! I’m on course staff for a couple classes and tutoring. I also won a raffle my school was holding! so that was kinda exciting. here’s a screenshot of part of my notes today for algorithms 2!
Wrote a rap parody of Batman by Jaden Smith, started orientation for Andover, and am going to try to learn the basics of jazz piano in 2 weeks for tryouts lol — also am going to be auditioning for midsummer’s night dream yay!
yoooo I just had a big brain moment + then committed to 2 more HUGE projects. Whoops. I need to focus now and I can't afford to do any more. This pic is unrelated LOL (weeelll, technically it is but whatever)
Super nice sunset from tonight! Did the usual today: CodeLabs Project, Hardware Grants and hopefully fixed a bug on the main summer website that stopped stuff from deploying (yikes).
But today we mixed up! Alongside a few other Student Council members, we met the kids from the Rainbow Centre for the first time :partyparrot: It's a school that helps special needs students and we're going to be running all sorts of fun activities for them next week :yay: We're also hoping to build a long term partnership with them! And guess where it all started? with a cold email I sent months ago! Super excited to see it all coming together, I was a very proud president with all the great work everyone was doing and how dedicated they were to helping out!