Kept working again on a new feature for Students Who Code, code is basally done just have to refine the design. (Some of the random code below)
Also did some planning and went to another Protoclub that @matthew put on and learn some cool things!
Moved houses & got a late start yesterday, but got a few things in:
• Added print styles to Workshops site, h/t @melody, to improve usability github.com/hackclub/workshops/pull/19
• Bank: Added example HTML embed code for embedding your donation form on your website
• Bank: Removed the webfonts for improved performance & a nice design tweak
• Bank: Shipped verrry first prototype of new cards ordering flow I’m working on (not public)
• I started my reign over Brand Twitter, now that I’m running our Twitter twitter.com/hackclub/status/1296655498842906625?s=21
Photo from a nighttime walk around campus with @matthew!!
Switched my default shell to zsh today! I installed oh my zsh, powerlevel10k and a syntax highlighting plugin, what else would you recommend I do? Also thanks @matthewgleich for the help with moving my PATH over from bash
The work I did today was just fixing a bunch of bugs on Events & Scrapbook (the homepage is no longer 200MB…) 😅 but had a really nice evening getting Five Guys & walking along the beach at sunset with @matthew + @melody
Had a productive day, though I took a break to watch the :appleinc: Apple Event with @matthew. (Not buying anything yet, somehow!) Made the first version of unified transaction lists on :bank-hackclub: Hack Club Bank (pictured below!), improved the 🧾 receipt experience for the new Stripe Issuing cards. (Lots more coming there.) Also worked with @christina695 at the end of the day, bringing some design polish to a slide deck for an upcoming donor call.
(This photo is the Bloomington HQ’s main room at the beginning of the day.) In between desk assembly & assorted fun times yesterday:
• Worked on Bank v2 product planning with the singular @msw. Came to some great new ideas for cards on Bank I’m really excited to build; essentially, virtual + physical cards for every team member, clearer transaction ownership, simpler ordering & management. Excited to work on some UI prototyping for that today
• Had a wonderful chat with @scott, who’s been working on the Bank backend recently
• Took a walk with @zrl to discuss my work recently & the DNC/RNC & news
• Checked in with @amogh on iPad project
• Shipped a set of small design improvements to Bank
• Embarked on a tale of two packages I hope you’ll discover next week(?) in #scrapbook
Then I made some salmon teriyaki with corn & green beans for dinner with @matthew that was surprisingly good!!
Bouncing around as usual yesterday:
• Published another VIP newsletter, from June 17: hackclub.com/vip-newsletters/008
• Added a page to our website to answer the common email we get, “Will you sponsor my hackathon?” hackclub.com/sponsorship
• Fixed the Slack form, which is now using the non-SOM flow, where we manually approve people. (Absolute fight to the death with CORS & API headers.) This flow is temporary; discussed with @matthew a new post-SOM Slack signup flow to implement soon
• Fixed Badger the Slack bot, as well as custom emojis on Scrapbook
• Set up automated API testing with checklyhq.com—public dashboard coming soon
• Updated the Code of Conduct to replace there being a specific Working Group with our team: github.com/hackclub/hackclub/pull/1286
• Did the first half of converting hack.af to serverless
I didn’t take any cool photos yesterday, so here’s two from a year ago, walking around Bellefonte, PA at night.
I’ve been learning to cook alongside @matthew this last two months. Last night we did sesame noodles + cucumber + fried egg & tonight we did polenta + sesame green beans + my second salmon teriyaki. It was so good!!! I’m really proud of our progress.
the sun has set (quite literally now), thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who joined the Summer of Making!!! it’s hard to piece together words, so here’s a post i wrote… and the recap site I'm about to ship….
one thing I haven’t done yet is say thank you to a lot of people, so meet my thank you wall:
• thank you @roshan for being there literally always and being amazing, for bringing your. abundance of knowledge to #hardware-party and listening to me even when I’m not literate. you’re the best partner in crime!
• thank you to @athul & @annlee_fores, for being life savers (on multiple occasions) and stepping up to support with all the Indian grants. True life savers.
• thank you to @lachlanjc for guiding me through making the recap site, always supporting when ever I contribute to Scrapbook or the Site and for all their support in the fast few days. Plus just being super nice and cool!
• thank you to @cwalker for all their support with hardware over the summer and just being someone to talk things through with!
• thank you to @msw & @cwalker for all the lengthy convos we had pre-launch that helped lead SoM in the right way!
• thank you to @neel.redkar for building awesome things that were life savers!
• thank you to @zrl for being super supportive but also brutally honest at times! that brutal honesty saved us!
• thank you to @elisemoe for being super supportive of us and for helping me out with pitching to Adafruit & Arduino!
• thank you to @cp & @michael.destefanis for putting up with my banking incompetence and some of the shenanigans we attempted!
• thank you to @matthew, @amogh, @dinaelhanan, @tmb, @christina695, @melody for all being super cool and doing super cool stuff!
• thank you to @rishi for whilst not being directly on the team, had a massive impact :)
OH AND OFC THANK YOU TO EVERYONE HERE YOU ALL ARE SO FREAKING AMAZING THANK YOU FOR BEING COOLLLLL!!!!!!
heres the earliest photo i could find, i’ll let your imagination go wild…
Productive day yesterday!
• I got our old domains working again (they previously didn’t point toward us, now they just redirect): hackclub.org, hackclub.io, hackedu.us
• Made all the frontend changes for taking down the Apply site in preparation for the new Clubs program this fall
• Began migrating back to the pre-SOM Slack signup flow; CORS nailed me a few times so finishing today
• Made a plan to begin distributing the iPad gifts with @amogh & @dinaelhanan, had a quick call with @christina695, & @tmb was really helpful as well. Super excited to move that project forward!
• Started working on automated checks for various API endpoints around Hack Club; finishing today. Hoping to have a public dashboard
• Removed legacy analytics from v3; need to fix analytics on v2 site today
Today, focused on a wide range of primarily maintenance updates across the org. Photo is from walking around Bloomington last night with @matthew 😊
I will miss @melody for all the work they hv done for hack club :sadparrot:. I created a discord server, talked abt an event announcement tmr + one w @matthewvandyke08, added to my personal website, did some work for my internship 🙂, and got a pr merged for hack club dns on github
Heard that some @staff arrived at their homes :rgbdino: and I can’t wait for y’all to make this school year super AWESOME!!!!!
Got away from posting daily updates this week, but it’s been quite a week! Made the new hackclub.com homepage which I’m pretty proud of, got (dozens of) other things ready behind the scenes for the Clubs launch on Wednesday, continuing our social media. Working with Michael, Amogh, Christina, Matthew, & Max every day. Now I’m full steam ahead on Bank & the cards migration we’re starting to roll out. Here are @matthew’s doggies from last weekend!! 🐕 :macbook-air-space-gray-screen::yay:
Filled out leap form, surfed some waves 🌊 , talked a lot w @anthonykung for a personal project, watched the bucks lose to the heats 😢 , had much less time since school goes till like 3:40 pm for me and i don’t wanna sleep 2 late cuz school starts 7:55, going to test and create new code, learning tons of cool stuff whether thats from hack club peers or on google lmao. (I may have also texted in class but I asked @matthew and he told me that it actually makes me a better student so :flushed_russian: ) hehe
Last day in our temporary office today, in Bloomington:
• Ended SoM hardware grants with a wonderful PR from @sampodergithub.com/hackclub/summer-site/pull/57 & gave him feedback on our upcoming homepage by him!!
• Bank: fixed a Transparency Mode bug on the G Suite page
• Bank: reached out to someone I super admire about working on an explorative new project together
• Workshops: in preparation for the new Clubs, standardized our formatting & streamlined authoring open letters github.com/hackclub/workshops/pull/20
• Moved forward on iPad distribution project
• Unblocked @neel.redkar on serverless deployment
• Talked with @michael.destefanis to plan Bank work, @tmb about MacBook project, @msw about Slack comms, then a long chat with @zrl about workflow/responsibilities at HQ
Here’s what @matthew & I made for dinner. Going on a quick weekend trip in the morning!
I LITERALLY caNNOT wait to go to the beach. like, its SOOOOO HOT ♨️ , HUMID, and iCkY. 😓 happy that staff r slowly coming back, saw @matthew at hack night and @tmb back in #lounge ! Its rlly akward since my school starts august 31 so uhhhh everyones more busy and at school and i’m just here ¯\(ツ)/¯ 2/3 way done w a website, connected google analytics w the website, and setup settings on me new phone lol
The past 3 days, I’ve been in New Haven, CT to move out of New Haven HQ & move @matthew & somewhat @msw out of their apartment. I am the most exhausted I’ve been at least all of 2020 after moving, packing, cleaning, transporting, loading etc thousands of pounds of stuff. We shipped maybe 25 boxes all 25-60 pounds at FedEx ($1220) & spectacularly loaded Matthew’s car. Massive shoutout to Matthew & Max for all pouring it on, we are all sweaty & exhausted but now driving to my house. (& don’t worry, Matthew was wearing a mask all the time except when I took a picture)