Almost finished moving out of our New Haven office with @msw and @lachlanjc. Hoping to be completely moved out by tomorrow. This office has been sitting idle since mid-March, when COVID hit and all of us dashed out to various places. A lot of my stuff was still here because I went on a big trip to Denver in early March and never came back to New Haven. I'm glad we're finally moving out of here, though it is kinda sad to see the place the clubs team called home for a year go away.
soon you'll be able to opt out of streaks yay! test post
Wow, that fireside chat with DHH was incredible. Thanks so much @msg4satwik for letting us tune in!
Went on a big team grocery run today with @lachlanjc + @melody! I’m really excited for this week.
Here’s a vending machine booting up and then crashing
I relaaaaaaxed today after a long week. I’m feeling great about this school year I also spent a while looking at monthly Airbnb rentals in cool small towns across the country—hoping to live in many different places this year. Here’s @lachlanjc posting to their scrapbook and @cwalker building something cool
Cluuuuuuuuuubs 👁️ 👁️
Check out this egg
I wrote @youtube_downloader, a bot that downloads YouTube videos! It's not quite ready for primetime yet, but it works! Try it out by posting a YouTube link in #youtube-dl
Double throwback!!! Yesterday was the 2-year anniversary of Anonbot, an instagram bot that wreaked havoc on my school until February 2019. This was my second Node.js project, after era-project. Any piece of text submitted on the website would be converted to an image and posted on the Instagram page. It was used mostly by me, @yuto,@physicalc123, and a few of our friends until it started spreading like wildfire across the school in late fall 2018. With the newfound fame in my school, posts became increasingly toxic, and people began using it to gossip and spread rumors. In February 2019, some people posted messages that others interpreted as warning of a school shooting. The police were called, and I spent the next day in the office + at the police station. I wasn’t punished in the end, and everything was fine, but I agreed to kill the bot and make the code private so that nobody could fork it and start it back up. The code remains private, but the Instagram page is still up: instagram.com/anonbot.wl
Code is still available at github.com/MatthewStanciu/era-project
There’s rain coming!
Fixed some more bugs & made some optimizations to scrappy, but otherwise it was a slow day today. Today was the hottest day of the week (90 degrees!), and the place we’re staying at doesn’t have air conditioning, so @lachlanjc and I went for a kayak/swim in the lake earlier. I am so excited for the tools we’re planning to build next week and later!!!
Today was a great day. Fixed some scrappy bugs and finished the backend for reactions, including back-propagating so that every previous post logs reactions. The water was also really calm today.
Airtable is back up
I went kayaking today 🚣♂️
I'm officially a paying HEY customer 😎
Spent all day today fixing a ton of Scrappy bugs! Here's everything I did today:
• The streak resetter is called by a Zap that runs every hour, but it kept turning off every time it ran because I wasn't sending a response back. Now it's fixed and running every hour! 🕐
• We added text formatting (emojis, channels, and users) a while back, but posts made before that still appeared unformatted. So I wrote a script that formatted every scrapbook update since the beginning ⭐
• Scrappy now publicly links to the scrapbook profile of anyone who shares a CSS style so that anyone can see what the style looks like 🖌️
• If you had a custom scrapbook domain set and you ran /scrappy setdomain again to set a new one, it wouldn't remove your previous domain from Vercel. Now, it does!
• For a while, when you edited a message or shared an unfurled link in a thread, Scrappy would react with a beachball. Now, it doesn't do that anymore
• If you to set your status to a streak number that doesn't match your streak, Scrappy sets your status to a clown emoji. A few days ago I accidentally broke this feature, but I fixed it today! 🤡
• Yesterday, @saharsh submitted a pull request that automatically updates your scrapbook profile when you edit relevant profile information in your Slack profile. Today, I got that PR working, made a few changes, and merged it. Now when your profile picture, website, GitHub profile, and timezone change, it'll instantly be reflected on your scrapbook profile 🙌
• Today, I was made aware that Scrappy occasionally doesn't update people's status, either when they post an update or when their streak is reset. I believe I fixed the issue—I couldn't test it because I couldn't easily reproduce it, but if you notice your streak status not being properly updated, let me know so that I can investigate further!
• In case you didn't know, all full slack members can run /som-promote to promote a multi-channel guest to a full user in Slack. Now, when you do that, it notifies #welcome-committee that they've been promoted so that they can help them get acquainted with the rest of the community!
• And finally: previously when you uploaded large video files (>300MB), Scrappy would falsely tell you your video was successfully uploaded, only to silently fail and display an unsatisfying black screen on your profile. It was failing because 1) Slack wasn't serving the video near-instantly like it normally does with most files, so Scrappy was fetching an error page, and 2) even if Scrappy managed to fetch the large video, it crashed the Heroku dyno because it didn't have enough RAM to download the whole file. My largest project for today was getting large video files to work. Now, if you upload a file that's too big for Scrappy to download, it will wait for Slack to serve the file, upload it directly to Mux (the platform we use to serve video on the website), and notify you when it's processed. So go ahead and upload multi-minute videos now! 📹
If you find any other bugs in Scrappy, please let me know or open an issue in the GitHub repo (github.com/hackclub/scrappy) and I'll fix it. And of course, if you notice any of the bugs I supposedly fixed today persisting, please let me know so that I can look further into them and fix them for good.
Here's a picture of me giving a very good dog a belly rub
Clippy now recommends #orpheus-legion to newly-promoted members with she/her or they/them pronouns! This was part of the Clippy flow pre-summer of making that I had forgotten to carry over until now.
Just made it home after driving all day! Also last night I wrote a bot that posts this image from Russian Doll (2019) to #thursday every Thursday at 8am ET
Spent the day driving from Vermont to Pennsylvania with @lachlanjc. Tomorrow I’m driving 8 hours to home in West Lafayette, IN. The red car in the distance is mine (taken during a lunch stop in Greenwich, NY)
At the tail-end of a 3-day weekend after working all day every day & pulling an all-nighter last week to build Scrappy & the scrapbook site. I’ll get back to work fixing Scrappy’s bugs and building new Summer infrastructure tomorrow, but in the meantime, here’s Let It Happen by Tame Impala playing on a HomePod in the kitchenI wrote a quick serverless Airtable-based link shortener! Inspired by @itsmingjie's version, but super stripped down (only ~20 lines of code) and hosted on Vercel. 🔗 https://github.com/MatthewStanciu/abls-serverless